We are on the map!!
Rigorous research, thoughtful development and an ongoing partnership with the National “Talking is Teaching: Talk, Read, Sing Community Campaign”, have earned Great Start Collaborative-Wayne the designation as the Detroit/Wayne County “Talking is Teaching; Talk, Read, Sing Community Campaign”
“Talking is Teaching: Talk, Read, Sing” is a public awareness and action campaign designed to share information with parents about the critical role they play in their child’s early brain and language development, and to support them with concrete tools to talk, read and sing with their young children from birth.
This Campaign is a community campaign, meeting parents where they are to help them prepare their children for success in school and beyond. Whether at the pediatrician’s office, laundromat, grocery store, library, playground or place of worship, Talking is Teaching makes small moments big by creating opportunities for meaningful family engagement anytime, anywhere.
The National Campaign was launched through a partnership of the Clinton Foundation and the Opportunity Institute in 2014 with flagship sites in Tulsa, Oklahoma and Oakland, California. As of March, 2018, our Detroit/Wayne County campaign is one of 13 cities in eight states participating in the national “Talking is Teaching: Talk, Read, Sing Community Campaign.”
Our Detroit/Wayne County “Talking is Teaching: Talk, Read, Sing” Campaign is designed to make small moments big by creating opportunities for meaningful family conversations anytime and anywhere. The Campaign will:
- Involve and provide information to trusted messengers such as pediatricians, home visitors, child care providers, faith leaders, librarians, social service providers, etc. who have established positive trusting relationships with parents and are conduits of information and strategies to support early language interactions within families.
- Provide high quality information and tools to families, early childhood professionals and the community at large including our unique one, five, 10 and 30 minute messages.
- Embed messages in community spaces ranging from grocery stores, laundromats, playgrounds, WIC offices and the like to signage on public transportation vehicles, street level signage and social media as well as local media outreach.
The Detroit/Wayne County “Talking is Teaching: Talk, Read, Sing” Campaign, like all local campaigns utilizes the wealth of research, information, guidance and high quality materials provided by the National Campaign to create a local campaign based on local realities.
- Overwhelming research and literature about the importance of early brain development. Please see research list at in the addendum section.
- Overwhelming research and literature about the importance of early language interactions on brain development. Please see research list at the end of this manual.
- Overwhelming concerns about the percentage of children in our community not reading proficiently by third grade (66% not proficient in all of Wayne County, 89% not proficient in Detroit).
- Literacy skills will not be strong unless early language skills are enriched.