Southwest Solutions - Thrive by Five and Larkins Early Childhood
5675 Larkins, Detroit, MI 48210
Eligibility: Call to schedule an Eligibility Determination Meeting.
SOUTHWEST COUNSELING SOLUTIONS
We help more than 16,000 individuals and families a year improve their lives through our four Centers of Excellence: Adult Counseling Services; Early Childhood and Family Literacy; Children, Youth and Families; and Supportive Housing.
Early Childhood and School Based Services
Our programs help children and parents improve language and learning skills, and focus on the whole child to promote student success.
- Thrive by Five provides Early Head Start and Head Start
- English Language Learners is a literacy initiative focused on non-English-speaking families in Detroit schools
- Community Schools are designed to be the hub of the community
- Early Head Start for southwest Detroit families
- Great Parents, Great Start serves families with children newborn to age four
- Partnership for Youth is a collaborative of youth serving agencies
Thrive by Five provides free and high-quality preschool for children birth to five years old. It also serves pregnant mothers. Thrive by Five consists of Early Head Start, Head Start, and home-based services. Children enrolled in Thrive by Five engage in learning activities that promote their intellectual, social, emotional and physical development. Thrive by Five also offers many support services to help participating families succeed. Our program serves families residing in Detroit.
Thrive by Five is a new federally-funded, early childhood education program designed to help families break the cycle of poverty. The program is free for eligible families. Services are offered in English and Spanish. Full-day and half-day options are available.
Early Head Start serves children 0-3 years old and pregnant mothers. It is offered either in one of our centers or through home visits. Center-based services are provided to parents who work 20 or more hours per week or who are in school at least part-time (6 credit hours). Home-based services consist of weekly 90-minute home visits from an Early Childhood Educator and Play & Learn Groups that meet two times a month.
Head Start serves children 3-5 years old. Both Early Head Start and Head Start are based on proven practices and the latest research to provide children learning activities that develop their intellectual, social, emotional and physical abilities so they will be well-prepared for success in school and life.
Thrive by Five provides a broad range of wraparound services to strengthen family ties, assist parents in their role as a child’s first teacher, and help families better their lives.
The Thrive by Five support services include:
- Individualized educational learning plans
- Health living and nutrition lessons
- Family goal setting and support
- Specialized services for children with disabilities
- Prenatal services for pregnant women
- Parental skills training
- Opportunities for parent leadership and learning
- Medical and dental care referrals
- Mental health services
- Social service referrals and support
- Families in Southwest Solutions’ Thrive by Five program have the opportunity to participate in programs offered by the agency, including adult literacy (GED preparation), workforce development, entrepreneurial training, Center for Working Families, affordable housing, homeownership and foreclosure services, behavioral health counseling, and more
Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Helpful Tips: Spanish assistance is available for all services.
Services Provided: Head Start, Early Literacy, Early Headstart