5716 Michigan Ave., Detroit, Michigan 48210
Eligibility: Call to schedule an Eligibility Determination Meeting.
SOUTHWEST COUNSELING SOLUTIONS
We help more than 16,000 individuals and families a year improve their lives through our four Centers of Excellence: Adult Counseling Services; Early Childhood and Family Literacy; Children, Youth and Families; and Supportive Housing.
Early Childhood and School Based Services
Our programs help children and parents improve language and learning skills, and focus on the whole child to promote student success.
- Thrive by Five provides Early Head Start and Head Start
- English Language Learners is a literacy initiative focused on non-English-speaking families in Detroit schools
- Community Schools are designed to be the hub of the community
- Early Head Start for southwest Detroit families
- Great Parents, Great Start serves families with children newborn to age four
- Partnership for Youth is a collaborative of youth serving agencies
Thrive by Five is a new federally-funded, early childhood education program designed to help families break the cycle of poverty. The program is free for eligible families. Services are offered in English and Spanish. Full-day and half-day options are available.
Children, Youth and Families
Our programs help children, youth and families understand they are not defined by the emotional and behavioral issues that bring them to seek our services.
- Clinical services for children and youth with serious emotional disorders
- Juvenile justice services for adjudicated and at-risk youth
- Leadership and life skills training for youth
- Wraparound Model involves the family and community to help youth
- Cornerstone (Transition Age Youth Project) for youth with mental illness
- Early Childhood Mental health
For more information about CYF programs, call 313.963.2266.
Adult Counseling Services
Our mental health counseling, advocacy and support services help individuals move from a difficult past to self-reliance and wellbeing.
- Clinical and outpatient services for adults with mental illness
- Bilingual and bicultural counseling services for Hispanic persons
- Integrated Health Services, partnering with Covenant Community Care
- Health and wellness programs and on-site pharmacy
- Supported employment services for those seeking work
- Drop-in center for persons with mental illness who are often homeless
Anyone seeking our counseling services should contact our ACCESS and Welcome Center, which is the point of entry for all our mental health programs. To contact the ACCESS unit, call 313.841.7474 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
SOUTHWEST HOUSING SOLUTIONS
Southwest Housing Solutions manages more than 600 apartment units that we rent to low and moderate-income families and individuals.
- Safe, affordable and quality housing in beautifully renovated buildings
- Housing and support services for homeless or special needs persons
- A full range of services and opportunities for our residents
- Property management consulting services for other property owners
Call us at 313.841.3727.
Southwest Lending Solutions is a community-based lender offering services to help prospective homeowners overcome home financing challenges, plus highly competitive rates and terms.
SOUTHWEST ECONOMIC SOLUTIONS
Our Adult Learning Lab in southwest Detroit helps adults improve their literacy, math and computer skills so they can be better qualified for employment. These services are free for eligible participants.
ProsperUS Detroit is an entrepreneurial training and small business lending program for Detroit residents, particularly those who are African-American, Arab-American or Latino. By helping emerging entrepreneurs develop successful businesses, ProsperUS will help strengthen neighborhood economies, create jobs, serve residents with new goods and services, and cultivate community-based leadership.
Center for Working Families
Our Center for Working Families (CWF) is based on a promising national concept and is designed to help low-income families reach financial stability, access income supports, develop educational and employment opportunities, build wealth, and move up the economic ladder. Participants are assisted by a financial coach, workforce development coach and benefits coach.
Financial coaching helps participants manage income, reduce debt, review credit, and plan for a more successful economic future. We offer one-on-one financial coaching and financial capability workshops.
Home Ownership Assistance
We offer a variety of programs to help your family buy a home or keep your home. Our agency is HUD-approved and our professional counselors are MSHDA-certified and NeighborWorks-trained and certified. We have English/Spanish bilingual counselors available.
The foreclosure intervention counseling provided by Southwest Economic Solutions serves homeowners throughout the metro Detroit and tri-county area.
Home Buyer Services
We offer homebuyer education classes, pre-purchase counseling and financial coaching through one-on-one sessions, group workshops, and community events. We offer special programs to help aspiring homeowners qualify for incentives such as down payment assistance and low-interest home loans. We also offer assistance for current Detroit homeowners to apply for the City’s no-interest home repair loan program.
We offer several programs to help eligible participants obtain the skills, resources and opportunities they need for gainful employment.
Earn + Learn is an innovative and comprehensive model of workforce development that involves multiple partners working together to train, place and maintain participants in employment.
PATH (Partnership. Accountability. Training. Hope.) assists welfare applicants and recipients to become self-sufficient and integrated into the labor force, based on the workforce needs of Michigan’s current and emerging economy.
Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Helpful Tips: Spanish assistance is available for all services.
Services Provided: Rent and Mortgage Payment Assistance, Mental Health, Adult Literacy, Head Start, Early Literacy, English as a Second Language (ESL), Employment Training, Early Headstart